Patch your operating systems and applications on a regular schedule.
- Use a tiered update system where the most technically savvy people get the updates first and report issues and then team leads and finally critical applications and less technical users.
- If a tiered system isn't possible, use a tool such as Secunia's PSI or CSI.
- If that doesn't work for whatever weird edge case, enable Auto-Update.
- Yet another edge case? You're amazing, CD's mailed weekly and an auto-run BAT script.
- Most exploited vulnerabilities today are in client side software such as Acrobat Reader, Java, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox
- Most data exfiltration (theft) and "hacking" today is due to misconfigurations and unknown services. Knowledge is power.